School Outreach Activity Leader
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with 2022 LunarFest.
Since its formation in 2017, The Society of We Are Canadians Too has co-organized cultural arts events that share and celebrate the diversity of perspectives in Vancouver. All events led by SWACT are approached with the purposes to advance the public’s appreciation of visual and performing arts, create events that present the works of artists, and provide a forum for artists to reach the community. Such events include: Celebrate the Accents, LunarFest, and The Lantern City.
LunarFest is an annual winter event held in BC to celebrate the Lunar New Year like no other. This year’s School Outreach Program provides virtual and in-person craft workshops for elementary students in the Vancouver and Richmond School Districts. The craft is a paper handheld lantern and takes the opportunity of the Year of the Tiger to raise awareness about large cats and their natural habitat. As we share the same planet with these animals, we can support them when we are “Together, Stronger”, in line with this year’s LunarFest theme.
Activity Leader Volunteers are needed to introduce, lead, and assist students in one-hour workshop activities during the months of January – February. A mix of virtual and in-person workshops will be available for students, therefore volunteer positions may be remote or in-person; training will be provided.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Lead 2 – 6 workshop sessions per week starting Jan 10th – Feb 2nd
- Familiarize with LunarFest programs and the activity lesson plans in advance
- Attend the mandatory orientation and training
- Ability to lead craft activity with large groups while following scheduled lesson plan
- Enjoy working with and telling stories to children
- Workshops will be during school hours; volunteer must be available minimum 2 days per week at these times
- Experience working with school-aged children in arts-related activities is a plus
- Passion for arts and crafts
- Enthusiastic personality
- Willingness to learn
- Leadership skills, patience, and initiative